Thursday, May 3, 2012

An Illustrated Life: Inspirations

In my last post, I showed pictures and talked about my own little art journal.  I wanted to also show you the book, that my mother had made for me as a gift, it is a collection of my art journal, put into a book.  She had one made for each of my children.  
I also wanted to share with you, where my original inspiration for my journal came from.  Edith Holden, she was an artist in the late 1800's, early 1900's.  She taught art and had books of her art and  illustrations from her nature observations.  When I worked at the library, I ran across her books and was so inspired by them.  I was thrilled to find them and checked them out many times.  I loved the simplicity of them.  
As much as I love the idea of art journals made with mixed media, I really wanted something that I could easily take with me and work on, anywhere.   If you are interested in finding out more about Edith, there is a great site here.  
Happy day to you!!  






this is one I've not seen before, but would like to check it out.  


this is the book my mother had made for me.

these are some of my journal pages put together in the book.



I was so surprised and happy that my mom did this for me and for my children.  

4 comments:

  1. I can see where your artistic talent is coming from. Your mom did such a good job! Please send her my congratulations.

    Hugs to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book looks beautiful! What a special gift. And I love the cover of the Hedgehog Feast - I've a soft spot for those types of whimsical animal illustrations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This is soooooo beautiful and thoughtful!! So precious! I have to check out Edith ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOw nice of your mother to do this. This means so much. Your mother really sees you.

    ReplyDelete