Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chocolate, Bunchy Sweaters, Fall...Brown

I have really been enjoying this Summer of Color hosted by Kristen.  She has done a wonderful job pulling this together.  If you have a minute, you should visit her blog and see how amazing it is.  If you'd like to join in the fun, it's not too late.  This week's color is Brown.  I love the color brown, it makes me think of Fall, chocolate, textured bunchy sweaters, breezy cool days with leaves all around.  For this color, I did a couple of pictures.  
The first picture makes me think of my husband.  My hero, youthful, always looking out for others, funny, smart, a man of many talents.  So, I made it with him in mind. 
The background is inks, the rest is watercolor pencils, I added water to the trees for the painty effect.  

For this next picture, I was thinking of Fall and how much I'd love for it to be Fall already.  It has been a hot, miserable and exceptionally buggy summer and I'm ready for a new season, where I can go outside.  This is somewhat of a self-portrait, because when I thought of brown, this is where I saw myself.  A big, thick, textured sweater, cool, crisp breeze, leaves floating and dancing in the air, the smell of pumpkin pie....


Have a lovely and hopefully, not too hot week!  
All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey.....
By the way, if you are interested, things are happening over at A Pen For A Dream.  

21 comments:

  1. Amazing. I love faces and eyes. You've touched upon my soft spot. You are trully an artis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what a sweet drawing of your hero! And pretty self portrait - it's supposed to be 100 degrees in Delaware today, so I am dreaming of fall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first artwork looks like such a wonderful fantasy land, sweet to include your husband.

    The second one is superb - I can really feel the autumnal season in this picture. Brilliant hair!

    Hope it cools down a bit for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the self portrait-what a beautiful vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful drawings, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your self portrait is amazing. You can really feel the fresh air going through your hair. And your eyes are so fixed, like if they are really looking at you. I could go on and on. I love it.

    As for the one where you portrait your husband as a hero with that kids trolley just behind that tree, it kinds of says that he is still a little boy in the inside.
    There is so much you can guess about others people paintings, specially if they are so fantasy like yours.

    I am sure your hubby loves both of these. The first one, because he is on it. And the second one, because YOU are on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phenomenal stuff, Heather. You never cease to amaze me.
    You added water to the pencils for the trees? And that's what gave them extra depth? Wow. How DO you do it?

    Best-

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally with you loving fall and brown!
    beautiful work =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm, the smell of pumpkin pie... must have one now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the overall softness of the portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both of these. I have a good man too and they are few and far between, and I love your representation of him.
    Your portrait is just gorgeous. The eyes are so expressive.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful Heather! LOVE that self-portait--but....I'm not quite ready for Fall yet....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather, your drawings are beautiful!! your self portrait is so realistic, I can feel the breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both of these so much..the first is so creative and thought provoking--the irony of the cape drew me in! And I'm so hot here in Texas I would love to have on that thick sweater in your second drawing and a cool breeze blowing....lovely to look at! ~Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tribute to your husband!! I love the red cape and that red wagon! It's perfect. I happen to have that very one in my dining room right now (I need to move it;) AND that portrait of you with the beautiful flowing hair, great sweater and pretty ring is just beautiful. You make a cute couple ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so sweet....your hubby is your hero...and really...your autumn girl is beautiful....love how her hair flows and how her jumper is pulled over her face....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so talented.I enjoyed your post and your whole blog.Denise

    ReplyDelete
  18. It really has been a hot..humid and 'buggy' summer thus far...I'm in agreement...'hurry fall'! Love the picture of your 'girl in fall'..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, the sweater picture is phenomenal! Love the eyes, the hair and the comfy looking sweater.

    ReplyDelete